President’s Report – 2017/18
This season was one of transition and growth. Former President Troy Sheary resigned at the end of last season following three years of dedicated service that saw the club through virtual collapse and then a year of low numbers while Duffy’s was resurfaced. We thank Troy so much – we would not be where we are today if he had not stepped in when he did.
Our Committee fortunately had a core group of ten carry over from the previous season:
• Mylissa Garrick: our most senior committee member who serves as our Secretary.
• April Coles: another senior committee member who handles registration.
• Pete Cardy: our equipment manager/person most knowledgable about the events.
• Michele Simos: our Competitions Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator.
• Carmen Fleming: who handles our social media, marketing and sponsorships.
• Dave Lowbridge: our head running coach and training coordinator.
• Geoff Fleming: a general Committee member who largely took on set up/pack up.
• Adam King: who has now been with us a couple years as our Treasurer.
• Di Reeves: whose kids no longer compete but continues to run our canteen.
• Sally Carr: a general Committee member who assumed recorder duties.
We struck gold – and grew by 50% – when five more energetic parents joined us:
• Nada Pantle: who took on the role of uniform coordinator.
• Geoff Smyth: a general Committee member and de facto safety coordinator.
• Carmen Pace: a general Committee member who has assisted with everything.
• Simone Channells: a general Committee member who took on recorder duties.
• Miranda Bryant: an all-rounder happy to help with anything we asked of her.
Fabulous teamwork got us through most of the season. However, it became clear that we needed someone steering the ship. Towards the end of the season, Michele Simos took on the role of President with Carmen Fleming taking on the role of Vice President.
The Committee was ably assisted by many others. As a Club, we are privileged to have the volunteer coaching assistance of two people with no association to the club – Mem Delaney who coaches jumps and Rich Redmond who coaches throws. In addition, we had a stellar year in terms of general volunteering. This year has been our best ever in terms of participation and general volunteering. We did mandate a base number of volunteer hours so that members would be encouraged to come forward. Once they did, and got some confidence in the various duties, most found it a fun way to pass the time. So, a huge thank you to the entire parent/carer community for your contributions.
The growth and dedication of our committee, coaches and parent volunteers has allowed our club to accomplish so much above and beyond running the Friday night competitions:
• Spearheaded by Nada, we completely updated the design of our uniforms, sourced them from a new supplier and distributed them at no additional cost to all athletes.
• We used funds that had been accumulating in the budget, and grant money sourced by Carmen F., to purchase new equipment (hurdles, high jump mats, discus, timers).
• Carmen F. also sourced vouchers from local merchants to keep both our athletes and our volunteers motivated and rewarded.
• To upskill our Committee and age managers, nine volunteers (the most of any club on the Coast) attended an Introduction to Coaching Course at Mingara.
• To ensure athletes jump and throw correctly, we sourced and laminated detailed event information and included it in the binders for our age managers to reference.
• To ensure volunteers record results accurately, we sourced and laminated information on how to properly measure field events and included laminated information cards in all age group binders.
• We expanded our training program to include throws training and long jump training – in addition to our running training – all at no additional cost to our members.
• We recruited dedicated age managers to serve as weekly champions for their age group. A huge thanks to the vast majority who attended regularly throughout the season – providing encouragement to the kids and developing a rapport and familiarity that kept things running smoothly week after week.
• With a goal to get all parents involved and reduce the load on the reliable few who held their hands up each week, we introduced the usage of Signup Genius for parents to pre-select roster duties and receive automatic reminders.
• We established new (and continued other) relationships with sponsors – including Breakers, the Athlete’s Foot, LJ Hooker Erina and Erica Dash Podiatry. Please give these businesses your support as they have financially supported our club.
We are so proud that we have such a well-functioning club that many – including LANSW officials, visitors and club members who have participated at other clubs – have acknowledged as the best run they have come across on the Coast.
As a direct success of these volunteer efforts, our athletes had an amazing season:
o 2,716 PBs
o 10 Club Records
o 74 Attendees at the Zone Championships
o 52 Qualifiers for the Region Championships
o 9 Participants in the State Championships
o 2 State Championship Finalists
As the season ends, we sadly say goodbye to several Committee members whose children are no longer participating in Little Athletics. Thank you Mylissa, Pete, Adam and Nada. Your contributions to the Club are greatly appreciated.
We have many exciting initiatives planned for next year and look forward to welcoming some fresh faces onto the Committee and into the Club. See you in October.
President, Terrigal- Wamberal Little Athletics